I just wrote an entire blog post that got erased, so I will make this second attempt short and sweet.
Last night we arrived from our last trip out to the countryside, where we said goodbyes, thanked people for their help with the research, and gave the municipal governments the raw data we have collected. The trip was bittersweet. Here are a few lowlights and highlights:
1. Getting stood up in Rionegro. This incident was reminiscent of our first months in Colombia. I suppose everything comes full circle. Here is a picture of our view while we waited and waited…
2. Getting car sick from all the curves on the drive into San Carlos.
3. Having to pee on the side of a rural road with only the car door to hide me (really!?).
4. Waking up at 4:00am on Thursday to the sound of a blender and what appeared to be the preparation of an elaborate meal (it was Gloria’s boyfriend preparing food for an early day of construction work).
1. Falling asleep to the rain in San Carlos
2. Saying goodbye to Gloria and spending our last night talking about ghosts and how she used to raise bees and sell honey before the conflict. She was musing about going back to the finca and starting up the business again, but that she needed to find a helper who wasn’t afraid of getting stung.
3. Saying goodbye to Gallego and his adorable son.
4. The beautifully blue and cloudy sky on the day we drove home from the countryside.
ps. Time to pack! Yay!